Thursday, July 19, 2012

What a BIG surprise!

Today class must be super fun but unfortunately I was not able to join in the fun due to high fever and bad cough. Before I sleep, I browse through my Facebook newsfeed and guess what, most of my classmates wrote about a square is a rectangle!

Aha! Geometry!

Huh! A square is a rectangle!
I thought a square is a square and rectangle is a rectangle!

I post a note in Facebook and begging them to share with me what they have learnt.
One of my classmates suggested to look at the defination in Wikipedia.
I read through the defination hmm...very intresting!

As I was reading and trying to figure out how a square is a rectangle.

My understanding says....

All lollipops are candies, but not all candies are lollipops.
All girls are people, but not all people are girls.    
All cars are machines, but not all machines are cars.
same goes to a square is a rectangle!

A rectangle is a shape with 2 sets of parallel sides and 4 right angles, no more and no less.
A square is a shape with 4 sides of equal length. and 4 right angles, no more and no less.
Is a rectangle a square? Well, no. A rectangle does not necessarily have four sides of equal length. However, a square is a rectangle, because it has 2 sets of parallel sides and 4 right angles.

Actually.....a square is a special kind of rectangle too =)
Super Intresting~~

Let's take a look at the diagram below:

No comments:

Post a Comment