Monday, July 16, 2012

Interesting & Inspirational



As our children go about their daily lives exploring and discovering things around them, they are exposed to the world of mathematics.

Today, as i enter my first EDU330 math lesson I asked myself 'When is the last time attend Math lesson!' Many yets ago! As i enter the class, I tell myself 'Be positive... Math class is Fun.' I believe positive attitudes about math are important for my own success. I must love & like math. =)

From today's class I learnt that mathematics involves problem solving, communication and reasoning.

Firstly, I need to be a problem solver to investigate and explores problem to find a solution. As I was doing the math lessons, I realized that we need to understand the question carefully before we can even think of how to solve the problem. Therefore, English (language skills) is important too as you need to understand what the questions is all about and what you need to do to solve it.

Secondly, I learnt to communicate mathematically- to use words, numbers or mathematical symbols to explain the situations and also to talk about how I arrived at the answer. During class, we listen to others' way of thinking in solving the problems. I also realized that math problems can be solved in different ways. While some problems in math may have only one solution, but there may be many ways to get the right answer.

Lastly, In learning math we need to have a reasoning ability- to think logically and being able to see similarities and differences about things. While doing the lesson 2, I've got my answer wrong because I forgotten about my algebra. But i tell myself never give up! Wrong answers can help :) Accuracy is always important but a wrong answer help me to discover what I may not understand. The wrong answer helps me to look further, to ask questions and to see what the wrong answer say about my own understanding for that problem.

Math is tricky for many people, but with basic knowledge of mathematics, as well as understanding each math question, it can become relatively easy to approach the solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment